Tuesday, January 08, 2013

My reading year*, 2012

Clearly, I don't inhale books in the way that I do movies. If movies are my fast food (cheap, lacking in nutritional value and quickly forgotten), the written word is a meal at The French Laundry. You don't want to shove it into your mouth while barreling down the road listening to a podcast. I can read quickly and spent many years mainlining books. At this point in my life, I just choose not to. Getting lost in a story and putting off the inevitable end are where it's at!

January 2012

The Getaway Car: A Practical Memoir about Writing and Life by Ann Patchett
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

March 2012

Fifty Shades of Gray by E.L. James
A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

April 2012

Uncivil Seasons by Michael Malone
Time's Witness by Michael Malone

July 2012

Shadow of Night (All Soul's Trilogy #2) by Deborah Harkness
Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy #3) by Mira Grant

September 2012

The Passage by Justin Cronin

October 2012

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

*Inspired by, and borrowed from, Austin Kleon (one of my favorite, most enlightening people to follow).

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:31 AM

    What did you think about Gone Girl? I'm interested to hear your thoughts because I read it and wonder if anyone felt the same way I do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was okay. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't heard so much hype before reading it. I'd hear folks from NPR and Slate (and a couple of bloggers I follow) positively gush about it. There was also the push to allow yourself to be surprised while reading it. Totally raised my expectations and had me theorizing about what was going on from the beginning.

    Plus...what a sad sack of people.

    ReplyDelete